Nurses Kick Off Warning Strike, Reject Federal Government Talks

Nurses across federal health institutions in Nigeria have confirmed plans to begin a seven-day warning strike starting Wednesday, insisting the action will go ahead regardless of any last-minute outreach from the government.
The decision follows a 15-day ultimatum issued earlier this month by the National Association of Nigeria Nurses and Midwives (Federal Health Institutions Sector), calling on the federal government to urgently address longstanding demands or risk a disruption in healthcare services.
Speaking on Tuesday, the association’s national chairman, Morakinyo Rilwan, expressed frustration over the government’s silence despite having ample time to respond.
“As far as we’re concerned, there has been no communication from the government,” Rilwan said. “Even if they reach out now, it won’t stop the strike. They had 15 days to act, and they did nothing. That shows a lack of concern for the welfare of both health workers and the public.”
The union’s demands include a review of shift and uniform allowances, a separate salary structure for nurses, an increase in core duty allowances, mass recruitment of nurses, and the creation of a dedicated nursing department within the Federal Ministry of Health.
According to Rilwan, nurses across the country have grown weary of working under poor conditions, often without basic supplies or proper equipment. “For over 40 years, we’ve endured this,” he said. “This strike isn’t coming from the leadership, it’s coming from the members themselves. They are tired, and they are ready.”
He added that the nurses are prepared to face any fallout from the action, including the potential implementation of the ‘no work, no pay’ policy. “The salaries are barely enough to begin with, so our members are ready to make that sacrifice if that’s what it takes.”
The warning strike will last seven days, after which the union says it will issue another 21-day notice in line with labor laws. If no resolution is reached within that period, a full and indefinite strike will follow.
On concerns that some hospitals may not participate, Rilwan clarified that only facilities without registered financial members of the association will be exempt. “Federal Medical Centre, Ebute-Metta, and Lagos University Teaching Hospital have not been part of our association for the past three years, so they’re not legally covered to join. But other federal hospitals across Lagos, the states, and the FCT are fully involved.”


