Netanyahu’s Gaza Push Triggers Nationwide Protests

Israel

TEL AVIV/JERUSALEM — Thousands of Israelis rallied nationwide to oppose the government’s plan to widen military operations in Gaza, warning it could endanger hostages still held in the enclave.

On Friday, Israel’s security cabinet approved five principles for ending the war, including “taking security control” of the Gaza Strip. The Israel Defense Forces said it would “prepare for taking control” of Gaza City. Families of some 50 hostages — about 20 believed to be alive — urged the government to prioritise a deal for their release.

“Expanding the fighting endangers the hostages and the soldiers — the people of Israel are not willing to risk them,” said a group representing hostage families on X. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu rejected the criticism, arguing the plan “will help free our hostages.”

At a Jerusalem rally, one protester, Shakha, told the BBC: “We want the war to end because our hostages are dying there… If it needs to stop the war, we’ll stop the war.” Former combat soldier Max Kresch said he now refuses to serve, adding that “over 350 soldiers who served during the war” are also declining to continue.

The Times of Israel reported that families of hostages and soldiers demonstrated near IDF headquarters in Tel Aviv, calling on troops to refuse participation in any expanded operation. A mother of a hostage urged a nationwide strike, though the main labour federation declined to back it, the outlet said.

Israeli media also reported that the army’s Chief of Staff, Lt Gen Eyal Zamir, warned the prime minister that a full occupation of Gaza would be “walking into a trap” and could further imperil the remaining hostages.

Polling indicates most Israelis favour a deal with Hamas to free the hostages and end the war. Earlier this week, Netanyahu told Fox News Israel planned to occupy the entire Gaza Strip and later hand it “to Arab forces.” On Friday he wrote on X: “We are not going to occupy Gaza — we are going to free Gaza from Hamas… This will help free our hostages and ensure Gaza does not pose a threat to Israel in the future.”

The cabinet’s five “principles”

  • Disarm Hamas
  • Return all hostages
  • Demilitarise the Gaza Strip
  • Take security control of the territory
  • Establish an “alternative civil administration” that is neither Hamas nor the Palestinian Authority

The United Nations warned that a complete military takeover of Gaza City could have “catastrophic consequences” for civilians and hostages. Up to one million Palestinians live in Gaza City, which was the enclave’s most populous area before the war.

Several Western governments, including the UK, France and Canada, condemned Israel’s decision, while Germany said it would halt military exports to Israel. The UN Security Council is due to meet Sunday to discuss the plan.

Israel launched its offensive after the Hamas-led 7 October 2023 attacks, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 taken hostage. Since then, more than 61,300 people have been killed in Gaza by Israeli operations, according to the Hamas-run health ministry.

Tech & Tools Desk

The Tech & Tools Desk reviews smart gadgets, productivity equipment, and digital tools that help professionals work more efficiently.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *