Doctors Call Off Strike, Set Sept 26 to Review Strategy

Doctors_Strike_NARD

The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has suspended its ongoing five-day warning strike after two days, giving the Federal Government a two-week window to meet its outstanding demands.

The association said it would reconvene on September 26 during its Annual General Meeting to decide whether to resume the industrial action.

NARD President, Dr. Tope Osundara, explained that the suspension was a gesture of goodwill to Nigerians and an opportunity for the government to address welfare concerns affecting doctors.

“It is because we want the government, having negotiated with us, to give them ample time to perfect their plans in addressing all the other concerns,” Osundara told our correspondent on Sunday. “Our members felt that since we’ve also extended a friendly hand, we should extend a hand of goodwill, especially to the Nigerian populace, who are grappling with harsh economic conditions.”

He stressed that the doctors were not retreating from their demands but only pausing their action. “We just want to give a human face and extend this olive branch to the government. We hope that within this two-week period, they will attend to everything in our list of demands,” he said.

Resident doctors had declared the strike last Friday after a series of ultimatums, including a 21-day notice in July, a 10-day extension, and a final 24-hour deadline that expired on September 10. Their demands include immediate payment of the 2025 Medical Residency Training Fund (MRTF), settlement of five months’ arrears from the 25–35 per cent CONMESS review, payment of 2024 accoutrement allowance arrears, prompt release of specialist allowances, and recognition of West African postgraduate membership certificates by the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria.

They are also pushing for the National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria to issue membership certificates to all qualified candidates, full implementation of the 2024 CONMESS, resolution of welfare issues in Kaduna State, and redress of grievances of resident doctors at LAUTECH Teaching Hospital, Ogbomoso.

So far, Osundara disclosed, the government has only paid the 2025 MRTF to previously omitted members, leaving other demands unaddressed. “That’s the only thing the government has done. Aside from the MRTF, they’ve not done anything else. We still have unpaid arrears, and we are facing manpower shortages,” he said.

He also cited delays in the release of a corrected circular from the National Salaries, Incomes and Wages Commission, accusing authorities of shortchanging doctors for more than a decade.

Osundara warned that the union would escalate its action if the government failed to act before September 26. “By then, our AGM—which is the highest decision-making body—will determine the next line of action,” he said.

On the separate strike by resident doctors in Oyo State, the NARD president clarified that the national suspension does not affect LAUTECH-TH, Ogbomoso. “We’ve allowed them to continue and given the Oyo State Government 15 days to meet their demands. After that, we will direct all members in Oyo State to shut down,” he stated.

Lifestyle & Wellness Desk

The Lifestyle & Wellness Desk explores personal care products, clothing essentials, and everyday tools that support comfort, confidence, and wellbeing.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *