NARD Disputes FG’s Claim of Addressing 19 Strike Demands.

aa

The Nigerian Association of Resident Doctors (NARD) has rejected claims by the Federal Ministry of Labour and Employment that the Federal Government has resolved 19 of the 20 issues raised in its ongoing strike.

In a statement released on Thursday, NARD described the ministry’s remarks as “inaccurate,” “misleading,” and an attempt to distort the true status of negotiations with the striking doctors.

While the ministry previously reported progress on the doctors’ demands—including a 25–35 per cent upward review of the Consolidated Medical Salary Structure (CONMESS) and payment of 2024 accoutrement allowances—resident doctors insist that none of the 19 core demands have been “fully or verifiably met.”

“What the ministry presents as progress are, in reality, unfulfilled promises, uncommenced payments, and newly formed committees—a familiar cycle of delay and deception that prompted this strike,” the statement read. It was signed by NARD President Dr. Mohammad Suleiman, Secretary-General Dr. Shuaibu Ibrahim, and Publicity and Social Secretary Dr. Abdulmajid Yahya Ibrahim.

NARD further stressed that no member has received the reviewed CONMESS payments or the 2024 accoutrement allowances that the government claimed to have disbursed. “An announcement of intent is not a substitute for a credited salary,” the association warned.

The association also criticised the ministry for still compiling lists of outstanding salaries and allowances in federal hospitals, including the Federal Teaching Hospital, Lokoja; Federal Medical Centre, Owo; and University of Ilorin Teaching Hospital. “After years of dialogue, the fact that the government is still compiling lists confirms our central grievance: a crippling lack of urgency and implementation,” NARD said.

Additionally, NARD condemned the government’s move to set up committees to address manpower shortages, alleged casualisation, and the disengagement of doctors at FTH Lokoja, calling it a bureaucratic delay tactic. “Constituting a committee is not a resolution. Our demand is for the immediate reinstatement of our colleagues in Lokoja and full implementation of a one-for-one replacement policy to curb burnout,” the statement added.

Responding to the government’s claim that NARD refused to sign a Memorandum of Understanding, the association said it would not endorse any agreement “built on unfulfilled promises and lacking clear, binding, and time-bound deliverables.”

“The strike will continue until our minimum demands, which represent the bare minimum for dignified and sustainable medical practice in Nigeria, are fully met,” NARD declared.

Key demands include the reinstatement of the five disengaged doctors at FTH Lokoja with full compensation; immediate payment of corrected professional allowances and outstanding arrears; full implementation of the one-for-one replacement policy; and the resolution of all pending welfare issues. The association also accused the government of violating labour laws and urged it to focus on concrete actions rather than issuing misleading statements.

“The health of our nation is at stake, and the responsibility to restore stability rests squarely with the government,” NARD concluded.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *