Australian PM Says Netanyahu is ‘in Denial’ Over Gaza Crisis

Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese accused Israel’s Benjamin Netanyahu of being “in denial” about the humanitarian toll of the Gaza war, following a call between the two leaders last Thursday.
Netanyahu’s government has faced mounting criticism amid reports of widespread hunger in Gaza. The Hamas-run health ministry says five people, including a child, died from malnutrition in the past 24 hours, bringing the total to 222 deaths, among them 101 children. Israel rejects claims of starvation, alleging UN agencies are failing to collect and distribute aid at border crossings. The UN says Israeli controls and delays are obstructing deliveries.
Speaking to the ABC on Tuesday, Albanese said Australia was alarmed by deadly incidents around aid distribution points. “The stopping of aid… and the loss of life we’re seeing where people queuing for food and water are losing their lives is completely unacceptable,” he said. “I spoke with PM Netanyahu… he again reiterated what he has said publicly, which is to be in denial about the consequences for innocent people.”
Albanese also defended Australia’s decision to recognise a Palestinian state, saying it followed commitments from the Palestinian Authority that Hamas would have no role in a future state.
The move drew mixed reactions at home: the Executive Council of Australian Jewry called it a “betrayal,” while some pro-Palestinian activists said it falls short. Opposition leader Sussan Ley labelled the decision “disrespectful” to the United States.
A pro-Palestinian march earlier this month drew at least 90,000 people across the Sydney Harbour Bridge after a court allowed the demonstration to proceed.
Netanyahu said it was “shameful” for countries, including Australia, to recognise Palestinian statehood during the conflict. “They know what they would do if, right next to Melbourne or Sydney, you had this horrific attack. I think you would do at least what we’re doing,” he said at a weekend press conference.
According to the Hamas-run health ministry, more than 61,000 people have been killed in Gaza since 7 October. Israel launched its campaign after Hamas-led attacks that killed about 1,200 people and saw 251 taken hostage.


