NRC Confirms Abuja-Kaduna Train Derailment Deploys Security and Medical Teams

The Nigerian Railway Corporation has confirmed a derailment involving a Kaduna bound passenger train on the Abuja Kaduna corridor.
In a statement on Tuesday, NRC Managing Director Kayode Opeifa said the incident occurred at about 11:09 am around km 49 between Kubwa Station and Asham Station. He said emergency rescue operations are underway, with medical teams and nearby hospitals mobilised, and a full complement of security on ground as efforts continue to move all passengers back to Abuja safely.
Earlier, passengers reported scenes of panic as several coaches toppled along the busy route. The cause of the derailment and the number of casualties were not immediately known.
The corridor has faced repeated disruptions in recent years, including the March 2022 attack by armed men. Just last week, the corporation reported a hot axle fault on an Abuja Kaduna Train Service coach a few kilometres from Rigasa Station in Kaduna, according to NRC spokesperson Callistus Unyimadu.


