Akwa Ibom Prohibits Masquerade Street Displays, Directs Security Agencies to Arrest and Prosecute Violators.

Akwa Ibom State Governor, Umo Eno, has signed an Executive Order prohibiting masquerade displays on streets and major highways across the state.
The decision comes in response to increasing cases of harassment, extortion, and public disturbances attributed to masquerade activities in various communities.
In a statement released on Wednesday, the governor—who first announced the ban last week—reiterated the directive while formally signing the order at Government House, Uyo, on Tuesday.
He instructed the Commissioner of Police and all security agencies to ensure strict enforcement. “By the authority vested in me as Governor of Akwa Ibom State, I am directing that anyone caught will be arrested and prosecuted. These activities have caused havoc in some local government areas,” he said.
“As the chief security officer of the state, I am mandating the police and other security agencies to arrest and prosecute offenders. This must stop terrorising residents and allow people to live in peace.”
Governor Eno noted that although he respects cultural traditions, no practice should endanger lives or violate citizens’ rights. He recalled several troubling incidents, including a recent case where a young woman was stripped and flogged by masquerades. He added, “Culture is important, but it must not harm others. Everyone has rights that must be protected.”
The governor explained that a 2022 law already requires police approval for such displays and emphasised that any masquerade celebrations must now be confined to village squares. “If you want to showcase masquerades, do it in your village square—not on the streets of Akwa Ibom. Public peace and order must be maintained,” he said.
He urged residents to familiarise themselves with the new directive and warned against using cultural activities as a cover for disorder. He also encouraged support for tourism-friendly initiatives aligned with his administration’s ARISE Agenda, especially as visitor numbers are expected to rise during the festive season.
“We are working to make our state a tourist destination. We must not create fear or give the impression that chaos is acceptable. This order is to restore peace and protect the public,” he added.
Earlier, the Commissioner of Police, Baba Azare, praised the governor’s decision, calling it both timely and necessary. He said the order empowers security agencies to tackle violence, intimidation, and obstruction linked to masquerade activities across all 31 local government areas.
He assured that enforcement has already begun, with clear instructions issued to area commanders and tactical units to ensure full state-wide compliance.


