Dangote Refinery Engineers Protest New Redeployment Exercise

A y1

Some engineers recently dismissed by the Dangote Refinery for allegedly joining the Petroleum and Natural Gas Senior Staff Association of Nigeria (PENGASSAN) have criticised the company’s decision to redeploy them to other subsidiaries under the Dangote Group, including its sugar and cement plants.

The affected workers, who requested anonymity due to the sensitivity of the issue, accused the company of victimising them for exercising their right to unionise.

However, the Dangote Group denied the allegations, insisting that several PENGASSAN members remain employed at the refinery.

Last week, PENGASSAN shut down oil and gas facilities nationwide for three days to protest the alleged dismissal of about 800 refinery employees who had volunteered to join the union. The refinery maintained that only a few workers were dismissed for acts of sabotage, describing the action as part of an internal reorganisation.

The industrial action caused disruptions in oil and gas production and reduced power generation across the country before government intervention brought temporary calm. Following a directive from the Federal Government, the Dangote Group agreed to redeploy the affected staff.

But as of Tuesday, the engineers said they had yet to receive redeployment letters and remained at home since September 25, when the company announced the dismissals.

According to them, their employment letters were issued by Dangote Petroleum Refinery and Petrochemicals, not the Dangote Group, making transfers to other subsidiaries unfair. They also expressed concern over being moved from petrochemical operations to unrelated sectors.

“It feels like victimisation,” one of the engineers said. “We were employed by the refinery, not the group. Redeploying petrochemical engineers to sugar or cement plants is unreasonable and psychologically distressing.”

The engineers further claimed that only Indian expatriates currently operate the refinery, alleging that all Nigerian engineers were asked to stay away after joining PENGASSAN.

In response, the Dangote Group dismissed the claims, reiterating that over 3,000 Nigerians are still employed at the refinery. A senior company official said the dismissed engineers were let go for acts of sabotage, not for union membership.

“Those affected were involved in sabotage. Their salaries have been fully paid, and PENGASSAN members are still working here. In our organisation, redeployment across business units is normal practice,” the official explained.

He also refuted claims that the engineers earned less than ₦400,000 monthly, saying their actual pay was significantly higher.

The refinery has recently faced criticism from multiple industry unions, including NUPENG and the Depot and Petroleum Products Marketers Association of Nigeria, over pricing and labour-related issues. Following government mediation, the crisis has eased, though many stakeholders are awaiting the implementation of the resolutions reached during the conciliatory meeting.

Prominent Nigerians, including the Emir of Kano, Muhammadu Sanusi II; Bishop Matthew Kukah; and activist Aisha Yesufu, have urged caution from labour leaders, warning that hostile actions could discourage investment in the country.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *