Enugu-Onitsha Road Set for Completion in April, Says Umahi

ROAD1

After decades of neglect and unsuccessful attempts at repair, the Federal Government has set April 28 as the completion date for major sections of the Enugu–Onitsha Expressway, expressing satisfaction with the progress and quality of work carried out by MTN Nigeria and its subcontractors.

Minister of Works, David Umahi, made the announcement on Saturday after inspecting the project, describing the highway as one of the most challenging roads in the South-East and a long-standing symbol of infrastructure neglect.

“We inherited a very problematic road, but under President Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s vision for the South-East, this prolonged neglect is finally being addressed. Previous administrations—eight governments in total—never undertook meaningful work on this road,” Umahi said.

The 107-kilometre expressway, connecting Enugu and Anambra states, is being rebuilt under the Federal Government’s tax-credit scheme, with MTN Nigeria initially awarded the full project at a cost of N202 billion. Umahi noted that MTN had already completed work valued at approximately N50 billion before economic changes, including the naira’s float and subsidy removal, required adjustments to the project plan.

The minister explained that MTN is executing the project in collaboration with subcontractors Nigercat and RCC, while SKC is handling specific sections. “We are satisfied with their work. Where there are issues, they have been identified, and corrections will be made,” Umahi said. Currently, around 72 kilometres of the road are under construction across four sections. Two sections—15 kilometres and 18 kilometres—are being built with reinforced concrete, while the remaining stretches will be paved with asphalt.

“I want to announce that within the next two weeks, the 15-kilometre carriageway will be completed, leaving only the shoulders,” he added.

Umahi also revealed that the Federal Government is considering awarding SKC a separate contract to install solar streetlights along the entire 107-kilometre corridor, except in areas already covered by the Anambra State Government.

“That project will be remarkable, and all credit goes to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for his commitment to the people of the South-East,” the minister said.

He expressed confidence that the rehabilitation of the expressway will permanently end the hardship that motorists and residents have faced for years.

Tech & Tools Desk

The Tech & Tools Desk reviews smart gadgets, productivity equipment, and digital tools that help professionals work more efficiently.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *