NAFDAC To Implement Ban on Sachet and Small-Bottle Alcohol Starting December

alcoholic-drinks-750x375-1

The National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) has announced that the production and sale of alcoholic beverages in sachets and bottles smaller than 200 millilitres will be prohibited starting December 2025.

The agency’s Director General, Mojisola Adeyeye, made the announcement during a press briefing in Abuja on Tuesday, explaining that the move aims to curb the misuse of cheap alcoholic drinks among youths and commercial drivers.

“The widespread availability of high-alcohol-content beverages in sachets and small bottles has made them easily accessible, affordable, and easy to conceal, leading to misuse and addiction among minors and drivers. This public health challenge has been linked to increased domestic violence, road accidents, school dropouts, and other social vices,” Adeyeye said.

The directive follows a Senate resolution issued on Thursday mandating NAFDAC to enforce the total ban by December 2025, with no further extensions permitted. The resolution came after extensive debate on a motion sponsored by Senator Asuquo Ekpenyong (Cross River South), who expressed concern over NAFDAC’s repeated postponements despite rising public health and social concerns.

Ekpenyong noted that previous deadlines set by the agency for 2023 and 2024 had been extended, which he said encouraged manufacturers to lobby for more time. He warned that further delays would undermine public trust and Nigeria’s commitment to international health and safety standards.

Adeyeye explained that NAFDAC had previously agreed on a phased withdrawal of sachet and small-bottle alcoholic drinks through a Memorandum of Understanding with stakeholders, but earlier deadlines had been postponed from 2023 to 2025. She stressed that the Senate’s latest resolution is final and warned manufacturers, distributors, and retailers to prepare for full compliance ahead of the enforcement date.

She emphasized that the ban is a protective public health measure, not punitive. “This ban is aimed at safeguarding the health and future of our children and youth. It is based on scientific evidence and public health considerations. We cannot continue to compromise the well-being of Nigerians for short-term economic gain. The health of a nation is its true wealth,” Adeyeye stated.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *