Strike Threat: NANS Issues 7-Day Ultimatum to FG, ASUU to Avert Academic Disruption

The National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS) has issued a seven-day ultimatum to the Federal Government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) to resolve their ongoing dispute and prevent a looming strike that could derail the academic calendar.
In a statement released on Wednesday and signed by NANS President, Olushola Oladoja, the student body expressed serious concern over rising tensions between ASUU and the government, warning that any disruption to academic activities would be unacceptable to Nigerian students.
Oladoja acknowledged that the education sector had experienced two uninterrupted academic years under President Bola Tinubu’s Renewed Hope administration a milestone not seen since Nigeria’s return to democracy in 1999. However, he noted that the current threat of strike action could reverse that progress.
“In light of this, NANS calls on both ASUU and the Federal Government to reach a workable and lasting resolution within the next seven days,” Oladoja stated. “Many students are now depending on education loans and cannot afford prolonged academic delays or extended time on campus.”
While commending recent education sector reforms under President Tinubu including the launch of the Nigerian Education Loan Fund, withdrawal of tertiary unions from IPPIS, the reversal of the 40% IGR remittance policy, and targeted TETFund interventions Oladoja stressed that lapses in communication and delays in implementing prior agreements with ASUU had triggered renewed tensions.
He described the looming strike as the result of “avoidable miscommunication and poor crisis management” that now threatens hard-won gains in the education sector.
According to NANS, an earlier meeting scheduled to address ASUU’s grievances was boycotted by the union due to procedural disagreements. However, Oladoja disclosed that both parties had expressed readiness to reconvene, provided the meeting is properly arranged.
“We urge the Federal Government to reconvene the meeting without delay to bridge the current communication gap,” he said, adding that failure to act swiftly could undo the progress made under the current administration.
Oladoja also called on President Tinubu to personally intervene, warning that prolonged inaction could damage the credibility of his education agenda.
“Nigerian students remain appreciative of the President’s efforts in the education sector,” he said. “But this dispute must be addressed urgently. If unresolved within seven days, the resulting strike could erode the stability and goodwill achieved so far.”
ASUU had declared a warning strike on Monday following the expiration of a 14-day ultimatum issued to the Federal Government. The union’s demands include:
- Full implementation of the renegotiated 2009 ASUU-FGN Agreement
- Payment of withheld three-and-a-half months’ salaries
- Revitalisation of public universities
- Sustainable funding of tertiary institutions
- Settlement of 25–35% salary arrears and four-year promotion backlogs
- Release of withheld cooperative deductions
The 2009 agreement, renegotiated several times over the years, remains stalled. The most recent review committee, chaired by Yayale Ahmed, submitted its report in December 2024 yet implementation has not commenced.
Meanwhile, the Minister of Education, Dr. Tunji Alausa, has reportedly directed university vice-chancellors to enforce the government’s “No Work, No Pay” policy against striking lecturers a move that has sparked fresh criticism from university staff.
The ongoing strike has already disrupted examinations in several institutions, causing widespread concern among students and parents.


